Tuesday, February 22, 2011

random update

Constraint therapy update:
Shelby has started to use her left arm a whole lot to reach out for things. She has also gotten really good at carrying toys with her mouth, which is not the goal of this therapy. Our girl is resourceful, that is for sure. Shelby still struggles with using her left hand though. Last night, she was reaching out for my father-in-law's glasses, grabbing them, and throwing them on the floor. To the detriment of his glasses, John let her play this game repeatedly, and she got some good practice with grasping. I'm thinking that in the week we have left of constraint therapy, those fine motor skills are going to really develop. I am home with her this morning because a) I really miss her, and b) Beth is coming over for a PT session. Shelby does her best therapy work at home, so I'm hoping we'll have a good session together.

This whole 3-week-casting-with-daily-therapy-appointments thing has gotten me reexamining my priorities. I wish I had more time with Shelby. With the economy in the state that it is in, I know that we are incredibly blessed. Trip and I both have good jobs and I get excellent health insurance through the state (which is a must with Shelby's medical conditions). Trip's job has enough flexibility that he can go to many of Shelby's weekly therapies. Shelby is at a great school and her teachers and therapists are wonderful. We are blessed to have my parents and Trip's parents nearby--they are always more than willing to help out and we couldn't do it without them.

However, juggling and organizing everything can be exhausting and I really miss my kids. On days when teaching is tough (and let's face it, I teach middle school, there are those days), I long to be with my daughter who has some special needs and would probably benefit from having more time with me. But that is not really an option for us right now. I do know that there are things I can change though. I have realized that teaching full time and taking two graduate classes is WAY too much for me and my family. I will definitely be scaling back on my counseling classes in the future. Until then, I'm taking one day, week, and month at a time, attempting to make the most of the time I do get with the kids, trying not to be too hard on myself, and counting my many blessings.

1 comment:

  1. You are an amazing mom! and Trip, you are an amazing dad--Shelby and Harding are so lucky to have you all--every second means the world to them. Miss and love you. PS- after seeing the pictures above, you can tell your kids to stop growing up now from me. Tell them to pass that along to Riley, too.

    ReplyDelete